Last updated: Mar 31, 2021
When the care and hassles of false teeth begin to wear you down, consider turning them in for permanent replacements through a simple, minimally invasive surgical procedure that gives you permanent denture implants. If you’re seeking a replacement for upper, lower or a full set of missing teeth for the first time, talk to the experienced team at Stamford dental practice about the procedure that’s fast becoming the go-to alternative to traditional dentures: denture implants. With convenient hours close to home and flexible payment plans available, your Stamford dentists offer their quality services to you and anyone in your family who may require dentures. Call today for an initial consultation.
Denture implants are a good option if you’ve lost all your teeth or if your nearby dentist recommends removing your remaining teeth because of gum disease, tooth decay or broken teeth due to an accident. Traditional dentures are custom-made replacement teeth that rest on the gums. Overdentures are supported by and attached to implants, which are posts surgically embedded in your upper or lower jawbone.
Implant overdentures may be right for you if you’ve never had dentures or if you have dentures that are uncomfortable. Dental implants placed in the jaw allow your dentures to be secured more firmly. The trained and experienced team of dentists at the dentistry center in Stamford offers comprehensive care locally for all your dental needs, including implant dentures.
Advantages of Implant-Supported Dentures
There are several advantages to getting implant-supported dentures to replace your missing teeth. Some of the most significant benefits include:
- Dentures attached to implants won’t shift or slip in your mouth, so you never have to worry about them when speaking and eating.
- They feel more natural and more comfortable than traditional dentures or removable bridges.
- You’ll enjoy an improved appearance and a better quality of life.
- Your ability to chew food improves, which means you’ll have broader food choices. This can lead to better nutrition and better overall health.
- Implant-supported dentures can last a lifetime with good care.
- They can be made permanent, which means you don’t have to take them out to clean them every night.
Additionally, traditional dentures cause gradual bone loss because false teeth have no roots, which are what stimulate your jawbones to continually renew. When the bone degrades, your dentures become less comfortable. With implant dentures, you experience less bone loss. So Stamford dental implants effectively help preserve your jawbone.
book an appointment
Date & Time That Works For You
How Denture Implants Are Placed
There are several oral surgery steps involved in placing dental implants for dentures. These include:
- Placing the implant in the jaw. Your Stamford dentist locates where the implants need to be placed using digital x-rays or other technology. The implants, which resemble tiny screws or cylinders, are surgically placed in the jawbone. The incision is stitched closed so it heals.
- Osseointegration. The next phase is the healing process. It takes from two to six months to complete. During this time, your bone grows around the implant and holds it in place. You use a temporary denture during this time, which allows you to eat and speak normally. It also helps your dentist to determine the best position of the teeth in the final dentures.
- Second surgery. A second surgery is needed to expose the tops of the implants. A healing cap is placed on the tips of the implants to hold the gums away from the implant. This is left in place for up to 14 days.
- Placing the abutments. Abutments are small metal posts, which replace the healing caps. They act as the anchors for the new dentures. An impression of your jaw and the abutments is taken as a model to make the final dentures. Full or partial dentures are mounted on a metal frame that snaps securely in place on the abutment. You have to remove these temporary dentures for daily cleaning or repair.
- Fitting the dentures. Your dentures are custom-made over the course of several weeks. They’re designed to fit in your mouth and look like natural teeth. Your Stamford dentists also are trained cosmetic dentists, so they have the experienced eye to ensure your appearance benefits from the artificial teeth, while maintaining the best dental health for your mouth.
- Final check. Your dentist in Stamford tests all parts of your new dentures to make sure they’re stable and secure. Follow-up visits ensure that you’re taking proper care of your new dentures and that you don’t have any problems adjusting.
Learn More about Dental Implants for Dentures
At Stamford Dental Arts, your professional dentist in Stamford for your entire family for regular cleanings and any other dental concerns. There’s no reason to continue to be self-conscious about missing teeth. Dental implants give you an opportunity to return to normal chewing, improved appearance and restored confidence, without the limitations of traditional dentures.
As long as you’re in good general health and have sufficient jawbone density, you may be a candidate for implant dentures. Your Stamford dentist can answer any questions you may have about all possible options for replacing your natural teeth. Contact us today for more information and to make a consultation.
book an appointment
Date & Time That Works For You
DISCLAIMER: PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
The information on this website is to provide a general dentistry information. In no way does any of the information provided reflect a definitive treatment advice. It is important to consult your dentist regarding ANY questions or issues. A thorough dental evaluation should ALWAYS be performed for an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan. Be sure to call your local dental practice, to schedule a consultation.